Tuesday, February 10, 2015

It's Okay To Be Different

     My mom and I just had a great heart to heart and she told me that she's always admired how little I care about what others think of me. I was pretty different than most of the girls I went to school with  growing up. As a kid, I dressed as a vampire, grim reaper, and one year even as a female devil for Halloween, then as a teenager I was a zombie for a few years. No, I am not a satan worshiper, it's just that I have always been a huge horror movie/ zombie lover. If I gave a hoot about fitting in, I probably would have worn girlie Halloween costumes. I have always done what I like to do and I have always hung out with different groups of people.
      In high school, I didn't belong to any clique, I was friends with people of all different kinds of cliques. Some of my popular or preppy friends would not understand and they would ask me, "Why do you hang out with those weird people?" Because I liked to. I like to see people for who they are, their popularity or unpopularity didn't matter to me and it still doesn't. If they're nice to me and to others that is good enough for me.
     Another thing I didn't give a hoot about is what people thought of my college degree. I was told that I was going to "starve to death" if I studied film in college. I have no regrets and I am so glad that I did.
      I feel like a lot of people just settle in life. They take the safe route. If they fit in with the crowd, study the right degree, and get a "stable" job they think that they will be happy.  I know many people who have always fit in with the crowd and have stable jobs and they are unhappy with their lives. I wish people would follow their dreams and do what they like to do more without caring so much about other people's opinions. I know you have to be realistic and have to pay bills, but that doesn't mean you have to give up on your dreams completely.
      Had I not pursued film, I would not have had the chance to see or work with people I have always dreamed of working with and I would not have met some of my best friends. Were the people who told me I would ,"starve to death," right? Partially- I am not rich, but I am not starving,  but what matters most is that I am HAPPY.  It is okay to be different, it's okay to do what you want to do even if people don't support or agree with you. You have to care about your happiness and sometimes you have to be a little selfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment