Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The Importance of Sunscreen

*UPDATE*Biopsy results came back. I am skin cancer free! I lucked out again! Thank the Lord!!!

    Early last year, I had my first skin check at the dermatologist. I had two moles removed from my back first as a shave biopsy. One of the results came back fine, the other lab for the other mole had detected abnormal cells, so I had to go back in for another biopsy. That time they did a punch biopsy and I had to get stitches to close the area of the removal. Thank goodness the punch biopsy removed all the bad cells, but I now have a scar that looks like a cigarette burn on my right shoulder. I now go every six months for full body skin checks because I have a history of having atypical moles which have a greater chance into turning into cancer.
     I went back to see my dermatologist two weeks ago and had a mole removed from my leg and one from my arm. The one on my leg was mildly atypical, so I didn't have to get a punch biopsy only a skin biopsy, but the one on my arm turned out to be mildly atypical. It's been a week and I am anxiously awaiting to get back the test results. Those who know me well know how pale I am. In the summer, I love being outside, but I don't lay out to tan much . I am always careful to use sunblock. If I barely sit outside to tan, imagine the risk for those of you who tan all the time. Please go to the dermatologist and get your skin checked out. It's better to be safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment