Sunday, October 9, 2016

Tips to fight Acne

For about six years, I struggled with acne. I tried everything. The dermatologist prescribed me antibiotics, topical acne creams, and even prescription face washes. I even tried Proactiv. Nothing worked for me. I was in college when my sister told me about a girl in her class who took some medicine called Accutane and that her skin was flawless. I went to my dermatologist to talk about the option of taking this miracle drug. The doctor told me it was not going to be an easy process. It would be a six month thing. I had to get my blood drawn once a month to make sure my body wasn't reacting in a bad way and to make sure I wasn't pregnant. They make you agree in writing to use two forms of birth control. There are many negative side effects to this drug, but if you ask me, it was so worth it. I now feel comfortable enough to leave the house without foundation and I rarely ever have severe breakouts anymore. Not everybody has a good experience or reaction to this drug. Some minor side effects are bad dry skin, chapped lips,  There are severe side effects like depression, liver damage, birth defects, miscarriages, but I still think it's worth the risk and that the positive stories outweigh the negative. If your acne isn't severe, here are some other tips I have for you.

1. Watch what you eat.
The food and drinks that you eat really do affect your skin. Caffeinated drinks make you more prone to breakouts. Everybody's body reacts different food, but pay attention to what makes you break out.

2. Wash your sheets once a week.
Or you can be crazy like me and use three different pillow cases a week.

3. Use face washes and shampoos that are sulfate free. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate are also known to cause breakouts.

4. Make sure your laundry detergent is sulfate free.

5.  Drink 3 liters of water a day.

I hope some of these tips and ideas can help you get the skin you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment